Wednesday 6 March 2013

Alice's notes: 4 Carnegie 2013 longlist books

Our guest reviewer, Alice (12), has read four of the novels on the Carnegie longlist. She has considered some of the judging criteria (as interepreted by shadowing groups) and made a few notes on these books:

1. To Be a Cat by Matt Haig
2. Trouble in Toadpool by Anne Fine
3. Hitler's Angel by William Osborne
4. The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket by John Boyne


Note: this is a cover of a proof copy. The cover in the shops is different and red.

1. To Be a Cat by Matt Haig

Characters
The author made me believe in all of the characters and their personalities.

Style
The story builds up slowly and the language is easy to understand. The story is from the author's point-of-view.

Plot
The plot is easy to follow, there is no sub plot and you can sometimes guess what's going to happen next.

Overall
I enjoyed it; it was right for my age group. I felt as if I wanted to carry on reading. I would recommend it; it left me thinking a lot; it didn't remind me of anything.


2. Trouble in Toadpool by Anne Fine

Characters
The conversations the characters have use suitable language - no swearing.

Style
The language is easy to read and understand. The story builds up slowly; a lot of description.

Plot
The plot/story is easy to follow. You can't guess what's going to happen next. I did not expect the ending.

Overall
I enjoyed it. It was a bit young for me; probably more for 9-11 year olds. I wanted to carry on reading. I would recommend it. It left me laughing. It did not remind me of anything.



3. Hitler's Angel by William Osborne

Characters
A good first impression - Leni and Otto are brave German teenagers.

Style
It dives straight into the action; a lot of dialogue; not a lot of description.

Plot
Easy to follow; no sub-plot.

Overall
I enjoyed it; right for my age group; I wanted to carry on reading. I would recommend it. It left me feeling sad and happy. It didn't remind me of anything.

You can read Little M's review of Hitler's Angel.



4. The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket by John Boyne

Characters
A surprised first impression by how they wanted to be normal.

Style
Straightforward language and easy to follow.

Plot
I didn't expect the ending. It was surprising.

Overall
I enjoyed it. It was right for my age group, maybe a little bit young. I wanted to carry on reading. I would recommend it. It left me feeling happy. It didn't remind me of any experiences.

You can read M's review of The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket.
 
*******

Copies: all book copies received from the publishers for reviewing the CILIP Carnegie 2013 longlist.

1 comment:

  1. Well, I read two of the four (Hitler's Angel and Barnaby Brocket) and quite agree with you.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! We'd love to hear what you think. Please leave a comment. You need to fill out the word captcha too because of spam. Your comment will be visible after approval.