Monday 3 June 2013

The Child's Elephant - Little M's review

The Child’s Elephant by Rachel Campbell-Johnston
 
Reviewed by Little M
 


The Child's Elephant by Rachel Campbell-JohnstonWhen Bat, a young African boy finds a dying baby elephant on the savannah, he and his best friend Muka set their hearts to save her. As Meya, the elephant, grows up Bat learns to let go of her and to let her into the wild.

After a few years without the elephant, Bat and Muka are taken captive by the soldier children. They are forced into the rebel army and must face whatever the army throws at them. This includes asking them to kill Meya!

This is an amazing story of a boy, an elephant and a rebel army, which forces children to join. This novel made me cry and laugh but never made me too sad. It makes me think about animal poaching and betrayal.

Definitely for Michael Morpurgo fans and also Gill Lewis and Lauren St John fans. I think almost anyone should read it but I would recommend it to late primary school and early secondary school. This is down to the main characters’ ages and the style of writing which best suits this age.

The cover for this novel is amazing. It captures the essence of the story. I think it will make people pick it up!

This is a novel that will stay with me forever. I  recommend The Child’s Elephant 100%!
 
Amazing full cover for The Child's Elephant by Rachel Campbell-Johnston. Artwork by David Dean.
Amazing full cover for The Child's Elephant by Rachel Campbell-Johnston. Artwork by David Dean.
 
 

Publication details: David Fickling Books, May 2013, Oxford, hardback
This copy: received for review from the publisher


 

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Nice review. I am definitely going to have to find this book, it sounds like something I would really enjoy. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it, I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to hear what you think about it! :p

      Delete
    2. Great book... you need to read it!

      Delete

Hi there! We'd love to hear what you think. Please leave a comment. You need to fill out the word captcha too because of spam. Your comment will be visible after approval.